It’s LOOOOOM!!!! Yeah, it’s a SCUMM game, but it’s even weirder than any of the other ones. Don’t like verbs? How about playing tunes with a distaff instead?? That’s right, it’s super weird. That being said, we had a blast diving into another LucasArts classic. Hopefully you did to. Enjoy!
After some quick intros, we start up on the history and development at the 5:40 mark, then at 21:45 we start getting deeper into the gameplay. Then Ben has a few questions for Jason around the 32 minute mark, they play a delightful round of “What’s The Beer? What’s The Song?” at 38:15 and tell you what they’re playing next month at 43:15.
Don’t forget! We’re still taking audio memos answering the questions “Why do you play video games?” Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll play (at least some of) your audio on the show! Thanks so much for listening!
Also, give it a listen to find out what game we’re playing next month.
As always, you can find the podcast in these places:
- That book we keep mentioning is Rogue Leaders: The Story of LucasArts by Rob Smith, and it’s a fantastic overview of the history of LucasArts with thousands of stories and illustrations. I always learn something new every time I open it up.
- Classic Game Postmortem: LucasFilm Games’ Loom at GDC 2015
- Ask me about Loom!
- Bobbin in The Secret of Monkey Island
- Guybrush in Loom
- Jason’s beer was Tilburg’s Dutch Brown Ale and his song was “Meccamputechture” by The Mars Volta
- Ben’s beer was Macallan 12 and his song was “Stairway To Heaven” by Led Zeppelin